Author Topic: Do You Eat Shrimp Heads, Body S*s & Tails?  (Read 301 times)

Offline jsnyder

• View Profile
Do You Eat Shrimp Heads, Body S*s & Tails?
« on: September 24, 2013, 02:44:16 AM »
Over in this topic we are discussing NYC restaurant annoyances, and LPShanet commented on the practice of leaving the last bit of s* and tail on shrimp when serving them, particularly in a fine-dining setting. It came up that in some cultures the tail portion actually gets eaten, rather than what I think of as the typical behavior here in the US of cutting them off and leaving them on the edge of your plate (or even in a non-fine-dining setting, picking them up and squeezing the tail to get that last shrimp segment, but still leaving the last bit of s* and tail behind).

So, do you eat the tail? Why or why not?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 02:44:16 AM by Guest »

Offline Jenny

• View Profile
Re: Do You Eat Shrimp Heads, Body S*s & Tails?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 02:45:10 AM »
I do press the meat out of the tail end, but don't eat the s*; I don't know whether the shrimp I've eaten have simply had remarkably robust s*s or something, but a tentative nibble has always made it quite clear that my teeth are just not going to break down the chitin well enough for it to be pleasant to swallow... so I p* on that.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 02:45:10 AM by Guest »

Offline Neil

• View Profile
Re: Do You Eat Shrimp Heads, Body S*s & Tails?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 02:46:13 AM »
It depends on the preparation. If the tail is crispy as in a grilled or fried dish I enjoy it. Generally if the shrimp has just been boiled, steamed or quickly sauted I leave it after getting the last bit of meat out.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 02:46:13 AM by Guest »

Tags: