Author Topic: bird of prey kills  (Read 408 times)

Offline henry96

• View Profile
bird of prey kills
« on: September 10, 2013, 12:31:18 AM »
Bird of prey kills in backyards are a common phenomenon in Europe & America  posts. any way I wanna share that here's the tally for my backyard in suburban Reno where 3 species of accipiter have between them made scores of kills over the years, comprising a total of at least 7 species of feeder bird (& one small owl). among 3 predators, Cooper's Hawks is the most frequent visitors to the yard & kills the most, with Sharp-shinned Hawks coming next. There have been only a few (known) Northern Goshawk appearances during this period & only one known kill. Here's the list:

1. Sharp-shinned Hawk
preys: Mourning Dove, Eurasian Starling, White-crowned Sparrow, House Sparrow.

2. Cooper’s Hawk
preys: California Quail (mostly), Northern Saw-whet Owl, Rock Pigeon, Mourning Dove, Northern Flicker, House Sparrow

3. Northern Goshawk
preys: Rock Pigeon.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:31:18 AM by Guest »

Offline NICKVEG

• View Profile
Re: bird of prey kills
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 12:56:33 AM »
Not strictly a garden but years ago whilst working in a hotel in Wester Ross in Scotland, I was washing some pots in the kitchen of the staff accomodation, which backed onto some heather moorland. Raised my eyes from the pots and was amazed to see a male merlin nail a meadow pipit not ten yards from the window. The bird flew off with its prize so I dashed out and saw the male p* the prey mid air to the female who then dropped into the heather. I marked the spot and for the next month had great viewing of the young merlins as they grew up and fledged.
Other than that had a hen harrier hunting over the garden in Spean Bridge plus quite a few sparrowhawk attacks over the years in various gardens.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 12:56:33 AM by Guest »

Offline daredevil

• View Profile
Re: bird of prey kills
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 10:51:13 PM »
A sickening loud thump in my central New Jersey home brought me running to my sliding gl* doors. If only I had put up more ultraviolet stickers. What did I see on the snow? A poor Sharpie. It was lying on top of the snow in a *nny asymmetric position. Perfectly still except for respirations.

I felt panicky. Statistics about bird strikes harr*ed my mind. I have to call Raptor Trust! No, don't call. Just give the poor bird time. Minutes went by as I pra* for the Sharpie. Very suddenly, the bird stood up! A minute later, the Sharpie simply flew off into the sky! It flew in a large, joyous circle around my neighbors to the left, neighbors across my creek, neighbors to the right- seemingly relieved and celebrating its ability to fly! Tears of joy ran down my face.

I then checked the area where the bird had its accident. A dead house finch was right there. Apparently, the Sharpie had dropped it when it was stunned. It didn't seem as if the house finch would recover. What did I do? I took the house finch and put it on the railing, hoping a raptor would come buy and grab it. Unlikely, I knew, but I wanted to try.

I left the room for a few minutes. When I came back in to the kitchen, I glanced toward the railing just for kicks. The house finch was gone! Taken by the very Sharp-shinned that had originally pre* on him? I hope so.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 10:51:13 PM by Guest »

Tags: