Author Topic: age to start using SMS?  (Read 415 times)

Offline CompanyFortune

• View Profile
age to start using SMS?
« on: November 05, 2013, 07:19:24 PM »
At what age do you think a parent should allow her child to start using SMS? I know that having a phone is necessary in this generation but what age should we let them start this?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:19:24 PM by Guest »

Offline SumoSports

• View Profile
Re: age to start using SMS?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 07:54:36 PM »
There are so many families where both parents are working, and it becomes a convenient safety thing for their kids to use SMS nowadays. The study concluded that kids prefer texting as the main type of communication, unlike face-to-face contact, e-mail, instant messages and voice calls. But too much texting has shown to harm*lly affect a kid's grammar, spelling and communication habits. Just be cautious.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:54:36 PM by Guest »

Offline AwakeNip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 08:11:39 PM »
I started using a mobile phone was when I was 11 years old in the year 2000 but that was then and this is now. I believe that children now are smarter than we were before so I think that children at 9 or 10 can start using the cellphone but you should teach them to use the correct spelling for the words so they won't get them all jumbled up in the end.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 08:11:39 PM by Guest »

Offline Ballocoreg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 08:13:37 PM »
I think a child can be allowed to have a cell phone if he can write and spell some words. There's nothing wrong with it especially if the mobile phone will be used to ensure one's safety. However I don't approve of children having those fancy and expensive cellphones which are not really necessary as cheaper ones may do the job.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 08:13:37 PM by Guest »

Offline SoftballBall

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 07:33:29 PM »
I think no matter what age a child is they should be allowed to bring a phone for security reasons, so that they will be easy to find. But, you have to consider the spelling. Advise your child not to use text words when using their phones so that their spelling skills will not be affected.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 07:33:29 PM by Guest »

Offline FirewallBall

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 05:56:54 PM »
You may get your child to use a cell phone as soon as he can spell some words. A grade school child is in the right age to use a mobile phone since he can surely write and spell words by this time. You can buy him a cell phone but try not to give him those expensive ones as children are sometimes forget*l and they just might lose it. Give him something use*l for the purpose of simply sending SMS to you or the family.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 05:56:54 PM by Guest »

Tags: