Author Topic: Pros and Cons of External Hard Drives  (Read 352 times)

Offline NekoSpinning

• View Profile
Pros and Cons of External Hard Drives
« on: November 16, 2013, 11:27:59 PM »
What are the advantages or disadvantages of using an external hard drive? I want someone to weigh in as I am considering buying one really soon.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 11:27:59 PM by Guest »

Offline PureSpinning

• View Profile
Re: Pros and Cons of External Hard Drives
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 11:28:21 PM »
One of the key advantages of buying a portable hard drive is that it’s like brining your own personal computer by just plugging it into any computer that you may have. It is a convenient way of making your life easier by just making it possible for you to just bring your data along with you without bringing the device that would process the data.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 11:28:21 PM by Guest »

Offline SpinningCozy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 11:29:14 PM »
I think that one of the main advantages of a hard drive is file sharing. Since there are two USB ports and it can be connected to a device and be used as a cloud backup deivce, more than one device can use this as a storage unit for all of the do*ents that they might need. It is a simple device that can do wonders for modern file sharing.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 11:29:14 PM by Guest »

Offline SpinningHaro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 11:29:30 PM »
Since they have mentioned advantages of the device, let me give you a lowdown on a key disadvantage of an external hard drive. It is a device that can be used as a backup system, but cannot be used to secure your files totally. Somehow, it may be safer to back your files up on an internet cloud like that of the Windows SkyDrive or the iCloud for Mac if you want data encryption and file security.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 11:29:30 PM by Guest »

Offline ForcemeatGreat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 02:45:03 PM »
Another disadvantage of an external hard drive is that it may get lost or stolen or you may drop it. When these things happen, it will be very difficult for your to retrieve and reconstruct all the files you have. As suggested, you can store your files in a cloud. Some of these services offer you a monthly service fee while others are free.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 02:45:03 PM by Guest »

Tags: