Author Topic: Can FBI make arrests on foreign land?  (Read 135 times)

Offline GreatSavior

• View Profile
Can FBI make arrests on foreign land?
« on: November 11, 2013, 03:42:33 PM »
I was just wondering about the *nctions of FBI (not that I have a crime or something). Do FBI special agents have the authority to make arrests in the US and its territories, or on foreign soil?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 03:42:33 PM by Guest »

Offline Sportoret

• View Profile
Re: Can FBI make arrests on foreign land?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 04:22:27 PM »
From what I know, the FBI can make arrests on the United States soil and all countries under its wings (e.g. Hawaii, Guam). As for other countries, I don't think they can arrest suspects there. The FBI, though, can work hand in hand with another country's police force to capture the culprit but the arrest has to be done by the police from that country, not the FBI because it is not under their area of responsibility anymore. The country can then deport the culprit to the United States where he can be tried for doing a crime.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 04:22:27 PM by Guest »

Offline SaiyanGreat

• View Profile
Re: Can FBI make arrests on foreign land?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 12:01:30 AM »
In the U.S. and its territories, FBI special agents may make arrests for any federal offense committed in their presence or when they have reasonable grounds to believe that the person to be arrested has committed, or is committing, a felony violation of U.S. laws. However, FBI special agents generally do not have authority to make arrests on foreign lands except in certain cases where, with the consent of the host country, Congress has granted the FBI extraterritorial jurisdiction.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:01:30 AM by Guest »

Tags: